Pages

Sunday 14 May 2017

Making Sketchbooks

Handmade Folded Sketchbooks 

I'm off to The Orkney Isles at the end of May with Mr. Stitches and a couple of friends. We're running our own, very informal, artists residency and I can't wait. I'm looking forward to lots of bird watching, exploring, drawing and maybe a bit of natural dyeing experimentation. I've wanted to go to Orkney for a long time and I'm curious to see how it compares to the beautiful Hebrides which I love so much.

My origami sketchbooks

My origami sketchbooks

My origami sketchbooks

In preparation, I've been making lots of little sketchbooks. I love making sketchbooks, it's so satisfying creating something to use in your work and it gives you endless opportunities for experimenting with different papers, sizes and formats. I have two 'standard' sketchbook types that I like to make; my origami sketchbooks and simple stitched sketchbooks. I also like making other types but these are my main 'go to' creations.

Different types of sketchbooks

Simple folded and stitched sketchbooks

Different types of sketchbooks

I like working in sketchbooks, I like the compact, portable nature and the fact that the work is hidden when the book is closed. A sketchbook is a very personal thing and I use mine in different ways; including sketching, planning and sampling. Often, they end up with a lot of writing in and it's interesting to go back sometimes and see what I was thinking and in doing this I frequently find ideas I want to re-visit.

Paper selection

Lovely ripped edges

Different papers in a folding sketchbook

Recently I ran a sketchbook making session with my Prism Arts Studio Arts group (a visual arts programme for adults with learning disabilities.) I've been encouraging the group to use their sketchbooks as much as possible and to make them personal; making your own sketchbook is the logical next step! We had a lot of fun making the books and it was interesting how different formats engaged different people. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with their books.

Sketchbook making with my Prism Arts group

Sketchbook making with my Prism Arts group

Sketchbook making with my Prism Arts group

One of the most popular workshops I offer is Handmade Sketchbooks. In this workshop I show people a number of ways of making simple sketchbooks and encourage them to make them personal by choosing different papers and materials. I'm running this session for Brampton Art Club in September which I'm looking forward to. If you'd like to book me for a workshop you can have a look at my 'Workshops' page on my website and get in touch. I love running workshops, it's one of the best parts of my job!

No comments:

Post a Comment