Pages

Wednesday 1 March 2017

Life Drawing 28.2.17


Continuous line 

Another month flies by and it's time for Life Drawing again. I really did not have any drawing mojo for this session and this is really reflected in my drawing. Usually within quite a short space of time I find myself getting into the sessions and really enjoying my drawing but this was one of those rare times where it never really came together for me.  That's not to say it wasn't a good session, it was lovely to see everyone and have a chat and I enjoyed the discipline of sitting and drawing even if I didn't really enjoy the drawing as much as usual. We had some interesting poses and I enjoyed seeing everyone else's work at the end of it.

Continuous line

Continuous line

Continuous line, permanent marker

I think that as with all things when drawing sometimes you're just not in the right frame of mind and things just don't seem to work out as you want them to. I don't mind this, it's part of the process. I know that it won't last forever and one of the things that I really like about Life Drawing is that part of the point (for me) is that there's no pressure to produce a particular, finished outcome. Sometimes I'm pleased with almost all of my drawings, sometimes I'm not pleased with any of them and usually it's a mixture.

Continuous line

Blind Drawing

Angry pencil drawing!

In an effort to try and get into the session a bit more I did a lot of blind drawing and I also attempted something unusual for me, I used a pencil. "You've done a conventional drawing!" Not a comment I often get about my work at the Life Drawing sessions I run but on this occasion it was so, I had indeed produced a drawing using a pencil and there was shading. Admittedly the model looks a bit angry in the picture but I did rather enjoy adding a bit of structure to my drawing. As much as I love working with line sometimes it's good to try something a bit different.

Blind Drawing

Blind Drawing

Blind Drawing

This departure from the usual, or rather to the usual, reminded me that throughout my drawing career I've struggled to follow the rules but that this hasn't always been a bad thing.  At college when we were doing portraits in pairs I created my portrait of my partner almost entirely through smudging graphite with my finger. The tutor called it 'smudge and fudge' but did also say I'd made a pretty good job of it! At university I created a series of drawings on black paper using gel pens. One of those tutors (who it's fair to say I didn't really get on with) gave us all a lecture about not using gel pens but then cited my work as the one exception. I think it was one of my proudest moments on that course!

Blind Drawing

Blind Drawing

Blind Drawing

No comments:

Post a Comment