Pages

Sunday 12 July 2015

The Crafty Hen

Textile Flower Table decorations

In my continuing quest to avoid having a proper job one of the things I've been doing is working for The Crafty Hen. They run crafty workshops all over the country for hen parties, baby showers, corporate events and other celebrations and my role as a 'little hen' is to lead the groups chosen session. There's a whole range of sessions available including bespoke bouquets, ceramic painting and knicker customisation! I've run three sessions so far; two textile flower sessions and a fascinator making session. All have been for Hen parties and have been a lot of fun.

Making textile flowers

Making textile flowers

Making textile flowers

For me it's a really nice and relaxed job as I don't have to plan or organise the session, the materials and details are all sent up to me and then I travel off to wherever the party is (usually a nice holiday cottage in pretty rural Cumbria) and deliver the workshop. Because the parties are not aimed specifically at crafters the activities are such that anyone can take part.

Making textile flowers

Making textile flowers

Making textile flowers

Running these sessions is really fun, everyone is there to have a good time and enjoy themselves so the atmosphere is usually quite upbeat and positive. They also tend to be groups of friends so they are already comfortable with each other which makes a big difference. There are usually one or two crafty people and they tend to help everyone else out which seems to work well.

Making textile flowers

Making textile flowers

Making textile flowers

Making textile flowers

I am used to adapting my approach to suit a whole range of abilities and I am used to working with groups that can potentially be quite challenging and demanding so for me these sessions seem quite relaxed. Although every participant is different the overall level of ability and understanding is higher than many of the groups I work with. There is also a set outcome for each session which again makes things a lot more relaxed, I know what we are aiming for I just need to support the group to get there.

Fascinator making

Fascinator making

Fascinator making

I love my participatory work but it can be hard going so these sessions offer a bit of light relief. They also give me the chance to travel to some of the most beautiful parts of my county and help me overcome my driving phobias!

My example fascinator

My example fascinator

My example fascinator


No comments:

Post a Comment