Pages

Sunday 1 February 2015

Gallery Artemis: Drawing Exhibition

Exhibition View

My year got off to an exciting start with the opportunity to exhibit some work at the lovely Gallery Artemis, so just after Christmas I headed over with some of my drawings and a few textile pieces. From the start of January until 14th February the gallery has been showing a drawing exhibition, which includes some of my work. As one of my goals for this year was to get more of my work on display I am obviously very pleased to have started the year with some work on show.

Exhibition view

Exhibition view

Exhibition view

I've been trying to get over to Cockermouth to see the exhibition since it opened but work and the weather have been conspiring against me. However, this weekend Mr. Stitches and I finally made it across and I'm so pleased we did. The exhibition is hung in the first 'room' of the gallery (it's quite open plan but naturally divides into 3 separate spaces), it's a lovely light space with wooden floors which make it feel warm and inviting. The drawings are hung close together, inviting you to get closer and look at the individual pieces. Several artists are on show and I love how different everybody's work is. There are quite a few life drawing pieces but again they are all different so it's great to see the different approaches, styles and media employed.

Work by Keith Fitton

Work by Ros White

I thought that all the drawings were of high quality and all had different qualities to recommend them but my favourites were the Chinese brush drawings by Keith Fitton and the beautiful charcoal and graphite poppy drawing by Ros White, With the centenary of the Great War last year the subject matter and dark tones I thought made a powerful memorial, I'm not sure if that was the intention but then one of the great things about art is that it can mean something different to each viewer. I left feeling inspired to come home, get into the studio and get drawing more.

Exhibition view

It was also really good to catch up with the gallery owner, Yvette, who is enthusiastic and friendly. She told me there have been positive comments about my work which is great and I have also sold a few of my brooches. As always, I have a head full of ideas so it's time to stop typing and get back to drawing and making...

No comments:

Post a Comment