Pages

Wednesday 17 September 2014

Life Drawing 16.9.14

Pen, continuous line, 3 minutes

After a break and a re-organise this week saw the return of my life drawing classes. I have changed days, times and venue and instead of being every other week I am trying out running the sessions once a month instead. So, lots of changes but it was really good to see familiar faces again; I am very lucky to have a regular group of people who support my sessions and are a large part of the reason I keep them going.

Overlapping sketches

Hand studies, pen

Running life drawing sessions is a funny thing, there is lots of interest and people keep complaining about the lack of opportunities to do life drawing and yet I struggle to get enough people to come to sessions and from talking to other organisers this is not a problem unique to me.

Pen, continuous line

Pen, continuous line

Anyway, I digress. The session went well, the new space is lovely to work in and our model gave us some excellent poses. I have been getting back into daily drawing but despite this I felt very rusty and it took me a while to get into the flow of drawing. My proportions were a bit out in a lot of my drawings and there were a couple of times I just couldn't get it to work as I wanted but I enjoyed the session and felt myself improving  as the session went on.

Pencil, 5 minutes

Pen, continuous line

I worked mostly in pen and continuous line as I wanted to work with something I was familiar and comfortable with until I got back into the swing of it. I was really struggling with one of the poses (a longish pose of 30 minutes) so I got out my trusty permanent markers and worked with them. You have to work really quickly with permanent marker otherwise it just makes a hole in the paper so it's a good thing to turn to when you need to loosen up and just draw.

Pen, continuous line

Pen, continuous line

'Blind' drawing, single line

I did a drawing of the models feet with the permanent marker that I was really pleased with. I hardly looked at the paper and drew really quickly. I like working in this way, it's almost like bypassing the thinking part of your brain and letting your eyes talk directly to your hands. Sometimes the results are rather strange but I find it helps capture the idea of a pose and it has, for me, an appealing simplicity and immediacy.

Permanent marker, continuous line

Permanent marker, continuous line

It will be interesting to see how my drawing is next session, a month is quite a long time but hopefully I won't have rusted up too much!


No comments:

Post a Comment