Pages

Wednesday 27 March 2013

Life Drawing 21.3.13

Pencil, 5 minutes

The last session in this block began on a very cold evening, my first job was to turn the thermostat up and get the room nice and cosy! Our model for the evening was Nick who, as ever, gave us some great poses. I particularly liked the head in hands pose; I just hope it was a pose and not how he was feeling!

Pen, 5 minutes

I was back to prolific drawing this evening. Recently I've been doing fewer drawings and spending longer on them but tonight that wasn't working for me so I just went with lots of sketches instead. I'm really pleased with how some of these line drawings have turned out. I also reverted to my approach of doing the same drawing several times but with slight variations in media or technique.

This was a 20 minute pose and I focused on the hands and foot:

Pen, continuous line

Pen, continuous line

Permanent marker, continuous line

This pose was also 20 minutes, I started off on a large colored pencil drawing but it didn't turn out very well so I did a couple of pen sketches as well. I really liked the shapes the arms and hands made in this pose:

Pen

Coloured pencil

I also discovered a new technique. I was working (very badly as it turned out) with water-soluble graphite and was trying to get some really dark areas in. Usually I put the graphite onto dry paper and add the water afterwards, using a brush to push the dissolved graphite around. It wasn't going very well so I decided to change tack and tried dipping the graphite into the water and then drawing. It didn't create quite the result I was expecting but I really liked it so did a couple of drawings in this way. They have an inky feel but with a bit more control and less dripping. I like the contrast of the very dark lines when the dampened graphite first hits the paper and the fainter, more subtle lines as it dries out.

Water-soluble graphite stick dipped in water

Water-soluble graphite stick dipped in water

Water-soluble graphite stick dipped in water

No comments:

Post a Comment